Alfresco Outlook Configuration for IMAP
A very common scenario which a key decision maker in any organization goes through is remote management of documents which are arriving through e-mails and various other sources. Or for that matter even a small piece of information which might not be that crucial in current scenario but may be important in future decision making ex: a mail from supplier consisting of promised discounts on future transactions.
Thus with Alfresco Share 3.2 you can easily map your e-mail client like MS-Outlook or Thunderbird. Thus every time you want to forward a specific mail or document to a specific folder or site ex: Sales folder. You just need to ensure that your Alfresco Share is mapped with your email client and here you are! Just create an email alias for your site or folder ex. firstname.lastname@example.org and every time you receive a mail related to sales just shoot a mail to email@example.com. This will help you in segregating the information whereas ensuring that no information is lost.
Further article will elaborate that how this mapping of Alfresco Share can be achieved with your email client.
Server Side configuration settings:
In the location on the server wherever the stack is installed set the properties as mentioned in the example below:
Drive Name (ex. D):\Stack\AxonShare\tomcat\shared\classes\alfresco-global.properties
Drive Name (ex. D):\Stack\AxonShare\tomcat\shared\classes\alfresco\extension\custom-email-server.properties
Now Open MS-Outlook 2007 on your machine
- Select Tools > Account Settings
- Click on New
- As a result of clicking on New a Pop-up window will open where following steps needs to be followed
- Select Microsoft POP3,IMAP, HTTP Click Next
- Select Check box for Manually Configure Server settings Click Next
- Select Internet Mail option
- Fill the details as follows
your name : abc
EmailAdd : firstname.lastname@example.org
Account Type : IMAP
Incoming mail Ser : company.com
Outgoing Mail ser : company.com
username : abc
password : *******
Click on Next and Finish. All the above configuration is in MS-Outlook now
- Now Login to Alfresco Share and go to Admin Console
- Click on Manage System Users à Create User
- Then fill the new user detail wizard
- make sure that email id is email@example.com
- Just finish the wizard by clicking on Finish button
- Go to company home and create one space. Name it as you like; here I am creating the space with the name Technical writing.
- Click on Technical Writing — > view details –> manage space users –> add user.
- Search for the user abc and add that user as contributor or whatever that you want but make sure about permissions.
- Go to Technical Writing space and click on run action. It will open run action wizard
- select add aspect and click on set values and add, select Email Alias, then click on next and finish that wizard.
- Next edit this space property. And create Email Alias as some tech
- Go to Admin Console and then Click on Manage User Group
- Within User group you will find EMAIL_CONTRIBUTORS group
- In EMAIL_CONTRIBUTORS group click on More Actions and Add user abc
If the DNS doesn’t having record of your IP address w.r.t. domain name then follow these steps on client as well as server side:
Note: You can confirm it by executing the following command “nslookup server-domain-name” on command prompt. If it is giving timeout exception then strictly follow below steps.
- Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
- Add server name. for example a domain like abc.com can be added as follows
server ip domain name
Where server ip is the ip address of the server and domain name will be like company.com
Thus once you are done with above mentioned steps you can start sending mail to a specific mail id in your alfresco repository.
Feel free to post your comment.